We face a new era and new challenges, different from those we faced in 1997, which is why I've decided to bring back into government a bunch of has-beens who faced those other challenges in 1997.
We need serious people for serious times, plus Peter Mandelson.
We need to reinvent government in these serious times, which is why I'm going to create several new quangos and committees, to give people the impression I've got a Scooby how to get us out of the economic mess I helped create, which of course I don't. None of these new bodies will actually have any power, but hey, it makes it look like I'm actually doing something.
We need to change the way we govern in these serious times, but don't expect me to do anything silly like introducing fair votes or revitalising local democracy. What do you think I am, a Liberal Democrat?Exercising total power on just 36% of the vote is the way we do things in this country.
Although Peter Mandelson and I have had our ups and downs in the past - which as you know is code for 'we hate each other's guts but I can't admit it in public' - I am delighted to have him back in government in these serious times. He has been a brilliant European trade commissioner, despite not actually achieving a deal in the Doha trade negotiations.
Did I mention that we face serious times and that I'm a serious person - unlike Cameron or David Miliband?
Recommended Lib Dem blogs and websites
- Andrew Reeves
- Caron's Musings
- Charlotte Gore
- Cicero's Songs
- Cllr Debra Storr
- Councillor Alex Graham
- David Boyle
- Duncan Borrowman
- Fraser MacPherson
- Freedom Central
- Himmelgarten Cafe
- Jock Coats
- John Hemming MP
- Lib Dem Blogs Aggregated
- Lib Dem Voice
- Liberal Burblings
- Liberal Bureaucracy
- Liberal England
- Love and Liberty
- Lynne Featherstone MP
- Mark Reckons
- Millennium Elephant
- Norfolk Blogger
- Peter Black AM
- Quaequam Blog!
- Sara Bedford
- Scottish Liberal Democrats
- Social Liberal Forum
- Stephen Glenn
- Steve Webb MP
- The People's Republic of Mortimer
- UK Liberal Democrats
Other good political sites
Miscellaneous non-political sites
- ► 2009 (111)
- POLL: Who's run the greatest postwar US Presidenti...
- The Barack Obama Show
- Jumping on the Brandwagon
- Obama on inspirational form
- Palin pallin' around with convicted felons
- Even McCain's staffers are voting Obama!
- Obama within margin of error in Arizona
- Playing the blame game
- Today is D-Day
- That's dedication for you
- My task made easier
- Mind the Gap!
- McCain staffers: we can't win Colorado
- Obama's lead is tightening but he's pulling away
- Lembit Opik, blogging and Ros Scott
- Powell's endorsement of Obama
- American elections: my predictions
- The American Future - not perfect but worth watchi...
- Clean sweep for Obama
- My vote's in the post
- Tavish: Let's learn from Obama
- Thoughts on the presidential election
- Reminder: Tavish Scott bloggers' interview
- Let me see if I've got this straight
- The Veep debate: it wasn't even close
- Obama and the Bradley effect
- Brown's reshuffle statement in full
- I'm Mandy, why me?
- He who lives by the sword...
- Is it turning into a landslide?
- ▼ October (30)