I don't often say this about a Conservative politician, but David Davis is to be applauded for his bold move in triggering a by-election on the 42 days detention issue. For a politician to put their own career on the line for a cause they believe in is admirable.
But I'm puzzled and annoyed by the announcement that the Lib Dems won't be fighting the by-election. OK, maybe Davis wouldn't have resigned if he'd thought we would be fighting the by-election, and I'm sure he'd have checked this in advance.
But despite his excellent record of opposing 42-day (and before that 90-day) detention without charge and also his opposition to the government's wretched ID cards scheme, Davis is no liberal. According to They Work For You, he has consistently voted against equal rights for lesbian, gay and bisexual people. He voted forthe Iraq war. And, according to his Wikipedia listing, he expressed support for the death penalty as recently as 2003. I would therefore have great difficulty in bringing myself to vote for Davis if I were in the seat.
Rather than not fighting the seat, the Lib Dems should be in there putting their case. We should be pointing out that with us, not only do we oppose the 42-day measure, but you get lots of other good things besides, such as lifting the poorest people out of taxation, shifting to greener taxation, investment in key public services, and a radical commitment to decentralising power.
Instead of being in there putting our case, Nick Clegg has made a strategic blunder by indicating we won't fight the seat. But if anyone does fancy fighting the seat as an independent Lib Dem, I will make a pledge to come down and work for that candidate. It is utterly unacceptable that the liberal case would not be made at any by-election.
Recommended Lib Dem blogs and websites
- Andrew Reeves
- Caron's Musings
- Charlotte Gore
- Cicero's Songs
- Cllr Debra Storr
- Councillor Alex Graham
- David Boyle
- Duncan Borrowman
- Fraser MacPherson
- Freedom Central
- Himmelgarten Cafe
- Jock Coats
- John Hemming MP
- Lib Dem Blogs Aggregated
- Lib Dem Voice
- Liberal Burblings
- Liberal Bureaucracy
- Liberal England
- Love and Liberty
- Lynne Featherstone MP
- Mark Reckons
- Millennium Elephant
- Norfolk Blogger
- Peter Black AM
- Quaequam Blog!
- Sara Bedford
- Scottish Liberal Democrats
- Social Liberal Forum
- Stephen Glenn
- Steve Webb MP
- The People's Republic of Mortimer
- UK Liberal Democrats
Other good political sites
Miscellaneous non-political sites
- ► 2009 (111)
- Choose our future
- And it's goodbye from her
- That thudding noise you can hear...
- Meanwhile, while we're all watching Zimbabwe...
- The best and worst of New Labour
- Coalition falls apart
- Time for a quick one
- Hazel Blears: available for weddings, funerals and...
- Steve Richards on Davis and Lisbon
- Another Davis opponent bites the dust
- More Gnat gimmicks on booze
- The Beeb tell me to get stuffed
- Bye bye Wendy?
- Am I wasting my time?
- What was he thinking?
- Lib Dems should fight Haltemprice and Howden
- Freedom for sale
- More on the 'Your High' controversy
- What are Fathers for Justice for?
- An excellent candidate in Henley
- Zimbabwe: what will it take for Africa to interven...
- A disgrace to a liberal party
- Start lobbing those grenades!
- Why Hillary won't be the Veep
- ▼ June (24)