When I saw Jayne McCoy's blog entry earlier on today, my initial reaction was exactly the same as Liberal Provocateur's.
I thought I'd check out Your High's website before commenting and it seems to sell "the finest array of herbal highs,bongs, pipes, smoking paraphernalia and other alternative lifestyle accessories."
It seems therefore that the shop is not selling anything illegal. If they were, that would be a matter for the police to enforce, not for political campaigners to poke their noses into.
So why the hell are Cllr McCoy and Tom Brake MP campaigning against the shop? Presumably they are doing so because they believe the people running the shop are promoting the use of cannabis.
There's only one problem with this, though: it is actually Lib Dem policy to support the decriminalisation of cannabis.
Tom Brake and Cllr McCoy are therefore campaigning against a perfectly legal business, selling things associated with a trade which we would also want to see legalised. There's no mention of any particular harm done by the shop in Cllr McCoy's blog, so it seems her opposition is based solely on the 'yuck' factor.
This seems to me to be exceptionally small-minded, populist, illiberal nonsense. Tom Brake and Cllr McCoy are a disgrace to a liberal party and should be ashamed of themselves.
UPDATE: In the light of Chris Black's misunderstanding of my post, I should point out that I believe that Brake and McCoy do have the right to protest about the shop. I just think the subject of their protest is illiberal rubbish.
Recommended Lib Dem blogs and websites
- Andrew Reeves
- Caron's Musings
- Charlotte Gore
- Cicero's Songs
- Cllr Debra Storr
- Councillor Alex Graham
- David Boyle
- Duncan Borrowman
- Fraser MacPherson
- Freedom Central
- Himmelgarten Cafe
- Jock Coats
- John Hemming MP
- Lib Dem Blogs Aggregated
- Lib Dem Voice
- Liberal Burblings
- Liberal Bureaucracy
- Liberal England
- Love and Liberty
- Lynne Featherstone MP
- Mark Reckons
- Millennium Elephant
- Norfolk Blogger
- Peter Black AM
- Quaequam Blog!
- Sara Bedford
- Scottish Liberal Democrats
- Social Liberal Forum
- Stephen Glenn
- Steve Webb MP
- The People's Republic of Mortimer
- UK Liberal Democrats
Other good political sites
Miscellaneous non-political sites
- ► 2009 (111)
- Choose our future
- And it's goodbye from her
- That thudding noise you can hear...
- Meanwhile, while we're all watching Zimbabwe...
- The best and worst of New Labour
- Coalition falls apart
- Time for a quick one
- Hazel Blears: available for weddings, funerals and...
- Steve Richards on Davis and Lisbon
- Another Davis opponent bites the dust
- More Gnat gimmicks on booze
- The Beeb tell me to get stuffed
- Bye bye Wendy?
- Am I wasting my time?
- What was he thinking?
- Lib Dems should fight Haltemprice and Howden
- Freedom for sale
- More on the 'Your High' controversy
- What are Fathers for Justice for?
- An excellent candidate in Henley
- Zimbabwe: what will it take for Africa to interven...
- A disgrace to a liberal party
- Start lobbing those grenades!
- Why Hillary won't be the Veep
- ▼ June (24)