OK, not in so many words but the following is the reply I received from the BBC in response to my complaint about its election night results coverage in May:
Dear Mr Salmon Thank you for your e-mail regarding 'Election Night 2008'. Please accept our apologies for the delay in our response, we do hope that you were not too inconvenienced. I appreciate that you were bitterly disappointed with the graphics which accompanied our coverage. Our election coverage has always been about providing viewers with the latest information as it happens in an informative but also entertaining and engaging way. Election Night 2008 was no exception with expert analysis and debate provided by a range of voices and devices. Having said this, it is clear that you were left completely dissatisfied with the graphics used and I can assure you that we have registered your comments on our audience log. This is the internal report of audience feedback which we compile daily for all programme makers and commissioning executives within the BBC, and also their senior management. It ensures that your points, and all other comments we receive, are circulated and considered across the BBC. Thank you once again for taking the trouble to share your views with us. Regards Richard Carey BBC Complaints
In response, I've fired back the following email:
Dear Mr Carey, The election night coverage was not done in an entertaining and engaging way. It was done in a dumbed down way which treated the viewers as idiots. It seems to me that you're just brushing this point under the carpet in your response. And I know that I'm not the only person to have complained to the BBC about its coverage. What is the BBC going to do differently next time to avoid such a shambles? Yours sincerely, Bernard Salmon
Recommended Lib Dem blogs and websites
- Andrew Reeves
- Caron's Musings
- Charlotte Gore
- Cicero's Songs
- Cllr Debra Storr
- Councillor Alex Graham
- David Boyle
- Duncan Borrowman
- Fraser MacPherson
- Freedom Central
- Himmelgarten Cafe
- Jock Coats
- John Hemming MP
- Lib Dem Blogs Aggregated
- Lib Dem Voice
- Liberal Burblings
- Liberal Bureaucracy
- Liberal England
- Love and Liberty
- Lynne Featherstone MP
- Mark Reckons
- Millennium Elephant
- Norfolk Blogger
- Peter Black AM
- Quaequam Blog!
- Sara Bedford
- Scottish Liberal Democrats
- Social Liberal Forum
- Stephen Glenn
- Steve Webb MP
- The People's Republic of Mortimer
- UK Liberal Democrats
Other good political sites
Miscellaneous non-political sites
- ► 2009 (111)
- Choose our future
- And it's goodbye from her
- That thudding noise you can hear...
- Meanwhile, while we're all watching Zimbabwe...
- The best and worst of New Labour
- Coalition falls apart
- Time for a quick one
- Hazel Blears: available for weddings, funerals and...
- Steve Richards on Davis and Lisbon
- Another Davis opponent bites the dust
- More Gnat gimmicks on booze
- The Beeb tell me to get stuffed
- Bye bye Wendy?
- Am I wasting my time?
- What was he thinking?
- Lib Dems should fight Haltemprice and Howden
- Freedom for sale
- More on the 'Your High' controversy
- What are Fathers for Justice for?
- An excellent candidate in Henley
- Zimbabwe: what will it take for Africa to interven...
- A disgrace to a liberal party
- Start lobbing those grenades!
- Why Hillary won't be the Veep
- ▼ June (24)