I mustn't laugh, I mustn't laugh, I mustn't...
Sorry, I just had to get that out of my system. The news today that Hazel Blears has had a laptop stolen which contains sensitive government information which she shouldn't have had stored on it is priceless.
This is a woman who has been lecturing us for years about the need for increased security. Indeed, as a former minister for counter-terrorism, Blears would have been well aware of the need to ensure that sensitive government information is stored securely. Also, in that role she wrote a preface to an executive summary on Cyber Trust and Crime Prevention, so she is certainly aware of the issues surrounding computer security.
So what does she do? Load some sensitive info onto a personal computer which she had no right to do and then be careless enough to leave it somewhere where it was able to be stolen. The woman is a comic genius. Book her now. Available for weddings, funerals and bar-mitzvahs.
The question is what happens to her now. The Cabinet Office employee who left secret documents on a train was immediately suspended pending a disciplinary enquiry, so is there any reason whatsoever why the same should not hapen to Hazel Blears? If she isn't at least suspended, the Government will be open to the accusation that it doesn't believe it's subject to the same rules as everyone else.
Better still, she should be interned for 42 days while we try and find out just why she's so bloody stupid. Unfortunately, I suspect that would take rather longer than 42 days.
Recommended Lib Dem blogs and websites
- Andrew Reeves
- Caron's Musings
- Charlotte Gore
- Cicero's Songs
- Cllr Debra Storr
- Councillor Alex Graham
- David Boyle
- Duncan Borrowman
- Fraser MacPherson
- Freedom Central
- Himmelgarten Cafe
- Jock Coats
- John Hemming MP
- Lib Dem Blogs Aggregated
- Lib Dem Voice
- Liberal Burblings
- Liberal Bureaucracy
- Liberal England
- Love and Liberty
- Lynne Featherstone MP
- Mark Reckons
- Millennium Elephant
- Norfolk Blogger
- Peter Black AM
- Quaequam Blog!
- Sara Bedford
- Scottish Liberal Democrats
- Social Liberal Forum
- Stephen Glenn
- Steve Webb MP
- The People's Republic of Mortimer
- UK Liberal Democrats
Other good political sites
Miscellaneous non-political sites
- ► 2009 (111)
- Choose our future
- And it's goodbye from her
- That thudding noise you can hear...
- Meanwhile, while we're all watching Zimbabwe...
- The best and worst of New Labour
- Coalition falls apart
- Time for a quick one
- Hazel Blears: available for weddings, funerals and...
- Steve Richards on Davis and Lisbon
- Another Davis opponent bites the dust
- More Gnat gimmicks on booze
- The Beeb tell me to get stuffed
- Bye bye Wendy?
- Am I wasting my time?
- What was he thinking?
- Lib Dems should fight Haltemprice and Howden
- Freedom for sale
- More on the 'Your High' controversy
- What are Fathers for Justice for?
- An excellent candidate in Henley
- Zimbabwe: what will it take for Africa to interven...
- A disgrace to a liberal party
- Start lobbing those grenades!
- Why Hillary won't be the Veep
- ▼ June (24)