The Lib Dems need to start thinking as soon as possible about who we get to stand as our candidate for London Mayor next time round.
In my view, the candidate needs to be someone with impeccable London connections; with good name recognition across the capital; who can handle the media spotlight; is utterly cool under pressure; is intelligent, cultured and has an internationalist outlook; is not a conventional politician; has a good track record of success; knows the importance of getting a good team around him and knows how to spend millions of pounds wisely.
Where would we find such a person? Well, step forward Mr Arsene Wenger.
OK, there would be a few drawbacks with having him as the candidate. We wouldn't get many votes in Tottenham, Chelsea or West Ham, but we don't get much support there anyway, so that wouldn't be a problem. With him at the helm, our campaign would completely grind to a halt in April. And if he became Mayor, assaults would probably rise under his watch, as if people started kicking each other, he just wouldn't be able to see it unless the people doing it come from Liverpool or Manchester.
But we would have a couple of ready-made slogans available:
Put a cross in the box for Arsene.
Arsene: he talks balls far less than Boris.
Recommended Lib Dem blogs and websites
- Andrew Reeves
- Caron's Musings
- Charlotte Gore
- Cicero's Songs
- Cllr Debra Storr
- Councillor Alex Graham
- David Boyle
- Duncan Borrowman
- Fraser MacPherson
- Freedom Central
- Himmelgarten Cafe
- Jock Coats
- John Hemming MP
- Lib Dem Blogs Aggregated
- Lib Dem Voice
- Liberal Burblings
- Liberal Bureaucracy
- Liberal England
- Love and Liberty
- Lynne Featherstone MP
- Mark Reckons
- Millennium Elephant
- Norfolk Blogger
- Peter Black AM
- Quaequam Blog!
- Sara Bedford
- Scottish Liberal Democrats
- Social Liberal Forum
- Stephen Glenn
- Steve Webb MP
- The People's Republic of Mortimer
- UK Liberal Democrats
Other good political sites
Miscellaneous non-political sites
- ► 2009 (111)
- Kick the 6-5 plan into touch
- Clueless Brown, part 42,369
- A highly professional but soulless campaign
- Why I'm heading down to Crewe and Nantwich
- Cicero talks sense
- Tax changes: bad economics and bad politics
- Brown is unbelievable
- The conversaton, the commission and the problem wi...
- Watch Taking Liberties tonight
- The Beeb: it's not just a Scottish problem
- Keeping it in the family
- The next Lib Dem London Mayoral candidate
- I think the poor dears are a bit shell-shocked
- Sack Dimblebore, sack Vine, sack the whole bloody ...
- A salute to unsung heroes
- Well, I got that totally wrong
- And you thought we had problems with data protecti...
- But I'm a complete heathen!
- ▼ May (19)