I see both The Guardian and The Daily Telegraph are calling on Speaker Michael Martin to quit.
And even Michael Martin's predecessor, Betty Boothroyd, has expressed her disapproval over his conduct. The Daily Mail quotes an MP friend of hers as saying:
"I have spoken to Betty and she is just appalled at the way Michael Martin has behaved. She sees it as a failure of leadership. If Betty had been in charge she would have called the three party leaders in and banged their heads together like little boys until they agreed to reform the system.
'She would instantly have seen how damaging it is to Parliament to have this issue festering. Michael Martin has done none of that."
It comes to something when even a former Speaker is so appalled at the way her successor is doing the job that she makes her views known in public.
If Michael Martin had a shred of dignity, he would go now. Unfortunately, it looks as though he'll have to be dragged kicking and screaming from the Speaker's chair.
Recommended Lib Dem blogs and websites
- Andrew Reeves
- Caron's Musings
- Charlotte Gore
- Cicero's Songs
- Cllr Debra Storr
- Councillor Alex Graham
- David Boyle
- Duncan Borrowman
- Fraser MacPherson
- Freedom Central
- Himmelgarten Cafe
- Jock Coats
- John Hemming MP
- Lib Dem Blogs Aggregated
- Lib Dem Voice
- Liberal Burblings
- Liberal Bureaucracy
- Liberal England
- Love and Liberty
- Lynne Featherstone MP
- Mark Reckons
- Millennium Elephant
- Norfolk Blogger
- Peter Black AM
- Quaequam Blog!
- Sara Bedford
- Scottish Liberal Democrats
- Social Liberal Forum
- Stephen Glenn
- Steve Webb MP
- The People's Republic of Mortimer
- UK Liberal Democrats
Other good political sites
Miscellaneous non-political sites
- Calm down, dears
- Good stuff from Shirley Williams
- Praise where it's due
- Tell Michael Martin his time's up
- Who should be the next Speaker?
- A snap poll now is not the answer
- Speaker Michael Martin is doomed
- Morley's 'defence' doesn't stand up
- Even Betty Boothroyd slams Speaker
- Churchill, Europe and the idiots of UKIP
- Great bit of ad placing
- And the nominations for Worst Speaker Of All Time ...
- Yet another Gnat manifesto pledge bites the dust
- Gnat MSP's anti-gay bigotry
- Keeping expenses row in proportion
- Mixed feelings abut Nick's conversations
- Do Lib Dems lack ambition?
- ▼ May (17)
- ► 2008 (206)