So, it seems that John McCain wants to postpone the first presidential debate so that he and Barack Obama can return to Washington to work on a bipartisan plan to solve the current economic crisis.
It hardly needs saying, but this is utter nonsense. There's no reason why the debate can't happen and the Senate decide on the Wall Street bail-out at the same time. People expect a President to be able to handle more than issue at once, rather than dealing with them one at a time.
Can you imagine McCain in the White House, dealing with another Russian incursion into Georgia? "I'm sorry, Mr Medvedev, but I can't deal with that right now. At the moment I'm dealing with the American economy, then next week it's climate change. Can we schedule this crisis for a week next Tuesday?" Utterly bizarre.
Of course, it couldn't be that McCain is afraid of debating with Obama, could it? He wouldn't be desperate to avoid being shown up for his lack of economic knowledge, would he? And it's utterly not the case that this is a desperate move in response to worsening situation for him in the polls, is it?
The reasons why McCain is indulging in such a stunt can only be guessed at, but Nico Pitney on the Huffington Post outlines why he's so desperate. As Electoral Vote highlights, Obama is leading and the economic crisis certainly seems to have boosted his support.
The economic crisis has highlighted the failure of Republican economic policies in the USA. And McCain's call to postpone the debates shows just why he would be so unsuitable in dealing with such an economic crisis. This election is now Obama's to lose.
Recommended Lib Dem blogs and websites
- Andrew Reeves
- Caron's Musings
- Charlotte Gore
- Cicero's Songs
- Cllr Debra Storr
- Councillor Alex Graham
- David Boyle
- Duncan Borrowman
- Fraser MacPherson
- Freedom Central
- Himmelgarten Cafe
- Jock Coats
- John Hemming MP
- Lib Dem Blogs Aggregated
- Lib Dem Voice
- Liberal Burblings
- Liberal Bureaucracy
- Liberal England
- Love and Liberty
- Lynne Featherstone MP
- Mark Reckons
- Millennium Elephant
- Norfolk Blogger
- Peter Black AM
- Quaequam Blog!
- Sara Bedford
- Scottish Liberal Democrats
- Social Liberal Forum
- Stephen Glenn
- Steve Webb MP
- The People's Republic of Mortimer
- UK Liberal Democrats
Other good political sites
Miscellaneous non-political sites
- ► 2009 (111)
- Success for Gurkha justice campaign
- The losers from the bail-out vote
- Honours even in first debate
- Ready, aim at foot, fire!
- Gnats keep undermining local democracy
- More bad news for McCain
- Your chance to interview Tavish Scott
- What's McCain scared of?
- Spending more time with the family
- Gnats in bed with some other complete bankers
- Can liberals get a fair deal from the media?
- Nick Clegg: what a terrific speech
- Nick Clegg conference speech bingo
- Can we cut taxes? And if so, how?
- Chris Huhne on top form
- Lib Dems against open justice
- Make It Happen: the right result, but...
- Nick Clegg has the answers
- A decent debut from Tavish
- Scottish Labour goes Gray
- The People's Republic rules!
- The musical guessing meme
- A terrible speech from McCain
- Cathy Jamieson: brain literally the size of a pea
- Can Salmond stop the posturing?
- Everyone's a hockey mum
- The price is wrong
- ▼ September (27)