Since I posted about John McCain's woes yesterday, things are continuing to look bad for him in the opinion polls.
According to Electoral Vote, Obama has strengthened his position slightly, now on 286 to 252 for McCain. New Hampshire, which was listed as marginally for McCain yesterday, is now listed as leaning towards Obama.
Obama's lead is especially encouraging given the situation for Kerry against Bush in 2004 at this stage of the race.
There's also good news for Obama from some of the individual polls (although all single polls must obviously be taken with a health warning). He's apparently 10 points ahead in Michigan and six points in front in Wisconsin, both of which were previously on a knife-edge. That Wisconsin poll also indicates that Obama is doing pretty well among women voters, in contrast to the expectations from some in the Republican camp that women voters would swing behind Sarah Palin.
More interesting is this poll in North Carolina showing Obama edging ahead. It may be a rogue, but it does indicate that some states you might not expect are actually in play, with Indiana, Nevada and West Virginia all falling into this category. Florida is also still very tight.
The good news for Obama is backed up by this poll of key states, which I saw courtesy of Justin Webb. If Obama does have a good debate (assuming McCain turns up), then he'll be a big favourite to win.
Recommended Lib Dem blogs and websites
- Andrew Reeves
- Caron's Musings
- Charlotte Gore
- Cicero's Songs
- Cllr Debra Storr
- Councillor Alex Graham
- David Boyle
- Duncan Borrowman
- Fraser MacPherson
- Freedom Central
- Himmelgarten Cafe
- Jock Coats
- John Hemming MP
- Lib Dem Blogs Aggregated
- Lib Dem Voice
- Liberal Burblings
- Liberal Bureaucracy
- Liberal England
- Love and Liberty
- Lynne Featherstone MP
- Mark Reckons
- Millennium Elephant
- Norfolk Blogger
- Peter Black AM
- Quaequam Blog!
- Sara Bedford
- Scottish Liberal Democrats
- Social Liberal Forum
- Stephen Glenn
- Steve Webb MP
- The People's Republic of Mortimer
- UK Liberal Democrats
Other good political sites
Miscellaneous non-political sites
- ► 2009 (111)
- Success for Gurkha justice campaign
- The losers from the bail-out vote
- Honours even in first debate
- Ready, aim at foot, fire!
- Gnats keep undermining local democracy
- More bad news for McCain
- Your chance to interview Tavish Scott
- What's McCain scared of?
- Spending more time with the family
- Gnats in bed with some other complete bankers
- Can liberals get a fair deal from the media?
- Nick Clegg: what a terrific speech
- Nick Clegg conference speech bingo
- Can we cut taxes? And if so, how?
- Chris Huhne on top form
- Lib Dems against open justice
- Make It Happen: the right result, but...
- Nick Clegg has the answers
- A decent debut from Tavish
- Scottish Labour goes Gray
- The People's Republic rules!
- The musical guessing meme
- A terrible speech from McCain
- Cathy Jamieson: brain literally the size of a pea
- Can Salmond stop the posturing?
- Everyone's a hockey mum
- The price is wrong
- ▼ September (27)