I didn't think there was a clear winner in the first of the three presidential election debates between Barack Obama and John McCain.
Neither made any noticeable gaffes, but nor were there any killer lines which might have swung the debate one way or another. Nor was there much in the way of humour from either side.
I felt Obama was perhaps slightly more persuasive on the questions on the economy and Afghanistan, while McCain probably edged it on the Iran question. The rest were all pretty evenly matched.
I suspect that those who were leaning towards Obama beforehand will probably stick with him, and those leaning towards McCain won't have been swung away from him. In short, I don't see this debate changing the overall picture much.
That's probably good news for Obama, as he's in lead and has the momentum, and it's John McCain who needs to do something to change the course of the election. But last night's debate wasn't it.
Recommended Lib Dem blogs and websites
- Andrew Reeves
- Caron's Musings
- Charlotte Gore
- Cicero's Songs
- Cllr Debra Storr
- Councillor Alex Graham
- David Boyle
- Duncan Borrowman
- Fraser MacPherson
- Freedom Central
- Himmelgarten Cafe
- Jock Coats
- John Hemming MP
- Lib Dem Blogs Aggregated
- Lib Dem Voice
- Liberal Burblings
- Liberal Bureaucracy
- Liberal England
- Love and Liberty
- Lynne Featherstone MP
- Mark Reckons
- Millennium Elephant
- Norfolk Blogger
- Peter Black AM
- Quaequam Blog!
- Sara Bedford
- Scottish Liberal Democrats
- Social Liberal Forum
- Stephen Glenn
- Steve Webb MP
- The People's Republic of Mortimer
- UK Liberal Democrats
Other good political sites
Miscellaneous non-political sites
- ► 2009 (111)
- Success for Gurkha justice campaign
- The losers from the bail-out vote
- Honours even in first debate
- Ready, aim at foot, fire!
- Gnats keep undermining local democracy
- More bad news for McCain
- Your chance to interview Tavish Scott
- What's McCain scared of?
- Spending more time with the family
- Gnats in bed with some other complete bankers
- Can liberals get a fair deal from the media?
- Nick Clegg: what a terrific speech
- Nick Clegg conference speech bingo
- Can we cut taxes? And if so, how?
- Chris Huhne on top form
- Lib Dems against open justice
- Make It Happen: the right result, but...
- Nick Clegg has the answers
- A decent debut from Tavish
- Scottish Labour goes Gray
- The People's Republic rules!
- The musical guessing meme
- A terrible speech from McCain
- Cathy Jamieson: brain literally the size of a pea
- Can Salmond stop the posturing?
- Everyone's a hockey mum
- The price is wrong
- ▼ September (27)