Tuesday 2 September 2008

Everyone's a hockey mum

Hardly the most surprising news in the world, I know, given their similar views on things like abortion, but Nadine Dorries has expressed her support for Sarah Palin as John McCain's vice-presidential running mate.

I wouldn't normally comment on our Nad's eccentric opinions, but a couple of things about this posting struck me.

Firstly, she accuses people criticising Palin of indulging in 'misogynistic bile'. Now, I don't know what websites she's been looking at, but in the reaction I've seen, I haven't seen anyone commenting that Palin would be unsuitable as the Veep because she's a woman. The questions I've seen are legitimate ones about whether she has the experience to be the Pres and about McCain's judgement in picking her.

She also assumes that having Palin on the ticket will help pull over former Hillary Clinton supporters over to McCain. As Paul Walter has already pointed out, the polling evidence so far suggests that is not the case.

But her most extraordinary statement is in her conclusion: "She is a reformer, a campaigner, a winner, experienced and just another hockey mom. Aren’t we all just another hockey mom? There of course, lies the answer."

Er, no. I have to say that I've never actually considered myself as a hockey mum. And I don't know of anyone else who thinks of themself that way either.

1 comment:

James Graham (Quaequam Blog!) said...

"Hockey mom" makes her sound like she's Canadian. Didn't the US go to war with them once?

Liberal Democrat Blogs