Hardly the most surprising news in the world, I know, given their similar views on things like abortion, but Nadine Dorries has expressed her support for Sarah Palin as John McCain's vice-presidential running mate.
I wouldn't normally comment on our Nad's eccentric opinions, but a couple of things about this posting struck me.
Firstly, she accuses people criticising Palin of indulging in 'misogynistic bile'. Now, I don't know what websites she's been looking at, but in the reaction I've seen, I haven't seen anyone commenting that Palin would be unsuitable as the Veep because she's a woman. The questions I've seen are legitimate ones about whether she has the experience to be the Pres and about McCain's judgement in picking her.
She also assumes that having Palin on the ticket will help pull over former Hillary Clinton supporters over to McCain. As Paul Walter has already pointed out, the polling evidence so far suggests that is not the case.
But her most extraordinary statement is in her conclusion: "She is a reformer, a campaigner, a winner, experienced and just another hockey mom. Aren’t we all just another hockey mom? There of course, lies the answer."
Er, no. I have to say that I've never actually considered myself as a hockey mum. And I don't know of anyone else who thinks of themself that way either.
Recommended Lib Dem blogs and websites
- Andrew Reeves
- Caron's Musings
- Charlotte Gore
- Cicero's Songs
- Cllr Debra Storr
- Councillor Alex Graham
- David Boyle
- Duncan Borrowman
- Fraser MacPherson
- Freedom Central
- Himmelgarten Cafe
- Jock Coats
- John Hemming MP
- Lib Dem Blogs Aggregated
- Lib Dem Voice
- Liberal Burblings
- Liberal Bureaucracy
- Liberal England
- Love and Liberty
- Lynne Featherstone MP
- Mark Reckons
- Millennium Elephant
- Norfolk Blogger
- Peter Black AM
- Quaequam Blog!
- Sara Bedford
- Scottish Liberal Democrats
- Social Liberal Forum
- Stephen Glenn
- Steve Webb MP
- The People's Republic of Mortimer
- UK Liberal Democrats
Other good political sites
Miscellaneous non-political sites
- ► 2009 (111)
- Success for Gurkha justice campaign
- The losers from the bail-out vote
- Honours even in first debate
- Ready, aim at foot, fire!
- Gnats keep undermining local democracy
- More bad news for McCain
- Your chance to interview Tavish Scott
- What's McCain scared of?
- Spending more time with the family
- Gnats in bed with some other complete bankers
- Can liberals get a fair deal from the media?
- Nick Clegg: what a terrific speech
- Nick Clegg conference speech bingo
- Can we cut taxes? And if so, how?
- Chris Huhne on top form
- Lib Dems against open justice
- Make It Happen: the right result, but...
- Nick Clegg has the answers
- A decent debut from Tavish
- Scottish Labour goes Gray
- The People's Republic rules!
- The musical guessing meme
- A terrible speech from McCain
- Cathy Jamieson: brain literally the size of a pea
- Can Salmond stop the posturing?
- Everyone's a hockey mum
- The price is wrong
- ▼ September (27)