Chris Huhne's speech to the Lib Dem federal conference this morning was a cracker and got him a deserved standing ovation.
Much of the speech was outlining the Lib Dem approach to cutting crime. He attacked the Tories and Labour for their willingness to go for gimmicks which are either ineffective or counter-productive, and instead called for solutions based on evidence of what really works in cutting crime.
He also highlighted what he called the 'punishment posturing' which both Tories and Labour indulge in, in which they compete with each other to come up with ever greater punishments for crime. Instead, Chris said that the key things which matter in terms of cutting crime are improving detection and catching criminals, rather than the sentences handed out at the end of the process. He also pointed out how ineffective prison can be in terms of cutting re-offending.
The speech wasn't just about crime, though. He also attacked the other parties for their record on things such as social justice and green issues.
The delivery was also impressive. Chris was roaming about the stage and speaking with real passion, something which he was sometimes accused of lacking during the leadership election campaign last year.
All in all, 10 out of 10 for this speech. I just hope that Nick Clegg will be equally impressive when he gives his keynote speech tomorrow.
Recommended Lib Dem blogs and websites
- Andrew Reeves
- Caron's Musings
- Charlotte Gore
- Cicero's Songs
- Cllr Debra Storr
- Councillor Alex Graham
- David Boyle
- Duncan Borrowman
- Fraser MacPherson
- Freedom Central
- Himmelgarten Cafe
- Jock Coats
- John Hemming MP
- Lib Dem Blogs Aggregated
- Lib Dem Voice
- Liberal Burblings
- Liberal Bureaucracy
- Liberal England
- Love and Liberty
- Lynne Featherstone MP
- Mark Reckons
- Millennium Elephant
- Norfolk Blogger
- Peter Black AM
- Quaequam Blog!
- Sara Bedford
- Scottish Liberal Democrats
- Social Liberal Forum
- Stephen Glenn
- Steve Webb MP
- The People's Republic of Mortimer
- UK Liberal Democrats
Other good political sites
Miscellaneous non-political sites
- ► 2009 (111)
- Success for Gurkha justice campaign
- The losers from the bail-out vote
- Honours even in first debate
- Ready, aim at foot, fire!
- Gnats keep undermining local democracy
- More bad news for McCain
- Your chance to interview Tavish Scott
- What's McCain scared of?
- Spending more time with the family
- Gnats in bed with some other complete bankers
- Can liberals get a fair deal from the media?
- Nick Clegg: what a terrific speech
- Nick Clegg conference speech bingo
- Can we cut taxes? And if so, how?
- Chris Huhne on top form
- Lib Dems against open justice
- Make It Happen: the right result, but...
- Nick Clegg has the answers
- A decent debut from Tavish
- Scottish Labour goes Gray
- The People's Republic rules!
- The musical guessing meme
- A terrible speech from McCain
- Cathy Jamieson: brain literally the size of a pea
- Can Salmond stop the posturing?
- Everyone's a hockey mum
- The price is wrong
- ▼ September (27)